Monday, December 24, 2012

Prenatal vitamins and supplements part 2

Now we get to the crazy stuff.
The stuff that may or may not have a lot of science behind it.  Things that probably can't hurt and might help, and I'm grasping at any straws I can when it comes to preventing preeclampsia.
There have been no conclusive research studies showing any concrete evidence that any thing prevents preeclampsia.
Be advised the craziness increases as you go down the page

1. Aspirin 81 mg per day - As my midwife will tell you this is not a vitamin or supplement it is a drug.  More specifically an anti-platelet drug which may increase your risk for bleeding.  So DO NOT take it without talking to your medical provider.  I began this only after I found out I was pregnant because I didn't want to bleed a ton during my periods.
There is mixed evidence - in my opinion - on aspirin for lowering the risk of pre-eclampsia, some small studies showed a good benefit, while other larger studies which included more lower risk women did not.  In the end it did not show any harm, and I feel the possibility of a benefit is worth it if the risk is low. *

2. Selenium 100 mcg per day - why am I taking this?  Because my mentor pregnancy blogger took it.  She posted about a tiny tiny itsy bitsy study that only contained 166 patients.  Three of the women who did not take the selenium developed preeclampsia, and none of the women taking selenium did. Is it a scientific conclusion that taking selenium will help - no.  Will it hurt, no.  Am I taking it - yes I am. *

3. Vitamin B12 - I actually found out from my doctor that my vitamin B12 level was about 200 ng/dL.  While this is not considered deficiency, I believe I was having symptoms of inadequate vitamin B12 (tingling in my fingers which has disappeared since I started on B12).  Most studies have not shown a correlation between B12 levels and preeclampsia.  There is some evidence that deficiency may relate to development of HELLP syndrome which is related to preeclampsia.*
Recommended daily intake during pregnancy is 2.6 mcg per day.*

4. Turmeric - More specifically I take Meriva which is made by Thorne.  I work with some naturopathic doctors who are renowned in the twin cities and I talked with them about ways to reduce the inflammatory response.  This is my own thinking that since preeclampsia is an inflammatory autoimmune condition that I can therefore lessen or prevent it by lowering my own inflammatory response.  Turmeric contains curcumin which is an antioxidant that lowers the presence of chemicals in the body that cause inflammation.  At the very least it has helped with my back pain. *

5. Raw cocoa powder - okay yuck, just yuck.  If it tastes bad it must be good for you right?  I disguise this by mixing it with my morning coffee.  And no this is not a caffeine free pregnancy - I work full time in family practice and I have a 2 year old okay.  Raw (non-dutched) cocoa powder is high in flavanoids which are a kind of anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory.  There have not been many well done studies on the use of cocoa, however there does seem to be a great deal of evidence that it promotes cardiovascular health.  When your blood volume is increasing by 50% and you are at risk for a disease which is mediated by endothelial factors what could be better- and once again it certainly can't hurt. *

Besides this I also take Cranberry extract 400 mg per day because I had some trouble with urinary tract infections in my previous pregnancy.  I am also taking Zinc to reduce the frequency and severity of viral infections.  I work in primary care and sick people cough in my face at least twice a day.  I read a study in clinician reviews earlier this year that showed an effect of zinc on lowering frequency and severity of colds, and I can tell you from my n of one, that it works.

One of my co-workers asked me if all these pills and supplements make me feel full, and the answer is maybe?  I am a great taker of pills, I have no problems swallowing them although the omega 3's give me the fishy burps.  It's not forever it's just until July, and really I can do this for as long as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment