Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Post Partum Kit

In my last pregnancy I bought a pre-made kit from a woman who had had a c-section at a discount.  I found a lot of the things to be very helpful.  Plenty of women I know have told me that their baby's just came sliding out and they did not need ice packs or sitz baths.  Great for them, I'm coming prepared for it to be like last time.
What's in the bag this time?
1. Perineal Ice Packs -
after the birth of your baby you may have some swelling and bruising in your perineal area. In the first 48 hours after the baby is born you can use ice to soothe and reduce the swelling.  These guys double as an ice pack and absorbent pad.  You do not have to buy these, the hospital will give you the option to use baby diapers filled with ice, or you can DIY if you are not at the hospital.  I used both options last time and found that these were much nicer than a baby diaper filled with ice.  It made me feel more like a woman and a mother to use a pad than a diaper.
2. Sitz Bath -
I honestly don't remember if they had these at the hospital or not.  I'm sure they must.  At any point you can use warm water to soothe swelling and bruising.  Your midwife or doula will likely encourage you to take 3 baths a day.  When you are sleep deprived with a new baby it is unlikely you will have time to fill and sit in a tub three times a day.  Also I found getting in and out of the tub difficult in the first few days after my son was born.  This you just fill with warm to hot water and sit - presto.
3. Sitz Bath Herbs - 
Add these to your sitz bath and it becomes a spa treatment for your butt.  Honestly it's fabulous.  The trick is getting the herbal without the herbs - those will stick to your backside and cause trouble.  I used a sun tea pitcher to "brew" a sitz bath.  I know your thinking that by this time you could have taken a bath, but it was much easier and nicer to do it this way (at least for me). 
4. Butt Balm - to put on after your sitz bath and make it last.  I also had hemorrhoids really bad after my son was born and this stuff was like magic.
5. Maternity pads - I preferred to use these with mesh panties vs adult diapers.  Diapers are made with plastic, they itch, they make you sweat, they don't breathe.  The mesh pants were not noticeable when I had them on.  I would recommend maternity pads over regular maxi, they cover more ground.  You don't have to buy fancy pants natural ones, I did because I want to pamper myself.
And that's all really.  Like I said a fair number of my friends never needed this stuff.  Maybe I won't either and I'll end up giving a lot of it away or throwing it out.  Meanwhile it's nice to feel prepared and to know that whatever happens my perineum is taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment