Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Italian Pie Shoppe Review

Review for
Italian Pie Shop on Grand

1670 Grand Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55105
(651) 221-0093

Two and a half stars
Price for a family of 2.5 $25 dinner


Food: Pizza and pasta.  Pizza was fairly good, nice stringy cheese, sweet tasting sauce, and nice crust.  Toppings are definitely fresh not from the can.  Pasta don't bother - you could do better with a box of cremette and a bottle of ragu, my toddler who loves all pasta was perfectly happy.  Milk was available for kids although served in a large mouthed canning jar - which is probably someone's idea of a joke (what's the worst possible container you could serve a drink to a toddler in - heavy, glass..)

Service: Indifferent and slow.  Do not show up hungry.  I think they had to go milk the cows to make the mozzarella or something.  We were there over an hour.  Maybe I'm a spoiled New Yorker but I've been to plenty of pie shops that make great fresh pizza and don't take that long.

Price: Ridiculous.  A basic pizza is roughly $15, each topping is $2.50, so if you like to add veggies or meat tack on an extra $5-10.  What?  When did mushrooms become so expensive?

Kid Friendliness: Medium to moderate.  It was noisy so no one will notice your noisy kid.  Requisite crayons and coloring menu provided.  Usual children's menu choices of high carb, high fat, high protein meals, no healthy options at all.  They do have high chairs.  NO CHANGING TABLE.  Also they play sports on TV so my son was squirreled around in his chair half the time trying to see the TV instead of paying attention to his dinner.

In summary - would I go out of my way? no.  Would I go back if I was in the area and felt like a slice of their pizza instead of PUNCH? yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment